barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

33,333 GET ON IT, rp therapy sesh
Poette
 Posted: Apr 8 2016, 06:13 AM

Group: Members

Awards:

Hello Barbermongers,

We must carry the torch high to get to 33,333! Actually, I am convinced we will make it there regardless. BUT why not make a game of it? The stakes are so high.

Let's have a free expression 'rp therapy' session. Tell me what you're feeling! Your peeves, your fan girl-ing, your fan boy-ing, your heartbreaks, your forgotten characters! Whatever it is, let it out and share. Be as concise as you like or long-drawn out. Tell us why you're still here writing these stories! Or flood us with inspirational photos that remind you of your favorite rps!

Participate as we all watch the post counter get up to 33,333!

THE GOOD: I really enjoy hearing that my partner is as happy with the role play as I am. Especially when I sit back and read a reply and go 'man that was so good, how am I going to compare?' and someone on the other side of the computer validates my post's worth. It makes me feel like no matter how long it's been since either of us replied, that we are inherently good partners, with similar levels of investment and enjoyment. That means that both of us are motivated to continue no matter how long the hiatus. It takes a lot of stress off replying, and it makes me feel respected not only as a writer but as an individual with other activities in my life.

THE BAD: That being said, while I absolutely love my long-term role plays, there are times when I want something with low long-term investment and quick replies. Inevitably, that sort of quantity wears me out. It's not sustainable for me in the long run and it's not really a 'good' feeling but it is certainly condensed escapism in that moment.

THE UGLY: That being said, the replies waiting in my inbox. Gotta get on that.
PM
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 10 2016, 04:17 PM

trash prince

Awards:

i love this idea, and let it never be said that i don't love or try my hardest for shiny little awards for arbitrary reasons (not that post counts aren't the best reasons, pls, i think barber should do 525600 eventually too js), so.

i'm just gonna copy you, bc flattery, right ? :o

THE GOOD: i really love writing. it's a love hate relationship, but i still love it. i have yet to find anything that makes me feel the way writing does, and it's one of the few things i want to do forever. like as long as i'm alive, i can't imagine not writing. and roleplaying is this weird offset of that where your work is not only validated but like, improved upon? i mean it's basically an interactive story that allows you to still be surprised by your own work, because it's not solely your own. plus i think when you find someone else that you flow with really well, it just... becomes this thing that seem a lot more interesting than it was on it's own. and thanks to barber there's a lot of talent and creativity condensed into one easy place :D

THE BAD: i'm really the most indecisive person and i'm horrible @ writing one thing because i want to write all of the ideas, no matter how fleeting my interest in them. but that's my problem. because that's literally all it is. fleeting.

THE UGLY: you kind of need a computer/steady internet connection to be a reliable role-play partner and i. barely have a temporary address. much less permanent wifi. yikes. s/o to all of the writers out there who put up with my bi-monthly replies.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 11 2016, 10:49 AM

trash prince

Awards:

i don't know if this counts as roleplay therapy or a question better asked in the roleplay talk but let's call it a general musing posed to the void:

how long is too long ?

in terms of time, to be more specific, how long can someone not reply to a thread before that thread dies ? is it impolite to revive a thread, say, once a year ?

something that sways me away from most collaborative writing is the "once a day" line that seems to be found in at least half of the ads i've ever read. sometimes it's weekly. Sometimes they just ask for active but then i wonder about that too, because there are definitely stories that, if i received a reply to in my inbox today, i would happily resume with no questions asked regardless of the length of time.

i don't know where i was going with this. musings @ the void.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Apr 11 2016, 10:53 AM

number one dad

Awards:

QUOTE (alyeska @ Apr 10 2016, 05:17 PM)

THE UGLY: you kind of need a computer/steady internet connection to be a reliable role-play partner and i. barely have a temporary address. much less permanent wifi. yikes. s/o to all of the writers out there who put up with my bi-monthly replies.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yup

ask me about trying to roleplay when all you have is your company data plan :^)

all i've got right now for this thread is the good: man i love creating stories and creating worlds with people! it's my favourite. maybe too much my favourite -- i'm pretty awful with plots/pacing/dialogue/all the stuff that is essential to good story-telling so i make up for it with shit-tons of worldbuilding and side characters and so on. i'm sure i probably annoy my roleplay partners with it but it's honestly my favourite to have those OOC conversations that go "oh my god so what about ...!" where you're completely on the same wavelength and writing feels not so much like making something new yourself but like this active act of discovery. that's pretty cool and what keeps me coming back.

the bad and the ugly can come later i guess when i am not on a phone

--------------------
PMEmail
^
knox
 Posted: Apr 12 2016, 12:39 PM

basically a ghost

Awards:

the good: this is incredibly rare, but i LOVE when i mesh with the person i am writing with and we achieve this glorious flow together in terms of characters and story. when we have similar writing styles, but we challenge each other. when we don't plot, but we (as bird put it) discover. but wait-- there's more! we also chat OOC. we are patient with one another. we like each other as much as what we are writing so we will be invested in ourselves as much as the rp.

AND I LOVE RPING ON FORUMS? i want people to see how awesome we are.
also, as a stickler for continuity i like that i can go back and edit away the bits that don't make sense.

like, in YOU WERE THE LAW [18+]
i had one characters refer to another by name as though she had formally introduced him when she hadn't?? so i swooped in and fixed it and now i feel like things are as they should be.

the bad: i take forever. at my best, i can reply multiple times a week, sometimes even multiple times a day. more often, there are times when i cannot reply more than once or twice a week. at my worst, once a month. that turns people off.

the ugly: i am like, deeply bothered by posts that (imo at least) do not move the plot along, do not develop character, do not push for interaction. these posts tend to contain loads of directionless character inner thought and little physical action and/or dialogue. i think that sometimes this is more of a stylistic choice than anything else so i feel guilty for being so critical of it.

the not so bad: ^ in this one rp i have going i've begun to introduce interaction in such a way that my rp buddy is kind of pigeonholed into responding with more action/dialogue. as time goes on i'm finding that they are beginning to rely less on internal monologue overall. and that is... kind of nice!

This post has been edited by knox: Apr 12 2016, 01:38 PM
PM
^
Poette
 Posted: Apr 13 2016, 09:29 AM

Awards:

QUOTE (alyeska @ Apr 11 2016, 10:49 AM)
i don't know if this counts as roleplay therapy or a question better asked in the roleplay talk but let's call it a general musing posed to the void:

how long is too long ?

in terms of time, to be more specific, how long can someone not reply to a thread before that thread dies ? is it impolite to revive a thread, say, once a year ?

something that sways me away from most collaborative writing is the "once a day" line that seems to be found in at least half of the ads i've ever read. sometimes it's weekly. Sometimes they just ask for active but then i wonder about that too, because there are definitely stories that, if i received a reply to in my inbox today, i would happily resume with no questions asked regardless of the length of time.

The longest break I've dealt with was six months and I think that's fine. In the end would you rather have short-term, long burst stories or a friendship that lasts a year or two or longer? There's benefits to both, and if I had any self control I would reply more often. People who nudge me every day or multiple times a week I just grow to ignore and resent. Yes maybe I'm online, but no I'm not going to devote time to writing with you right now. Sorry. But on the flip side getting used to replying only once in a while means it is difficult to break that habit when your partner is feeling more active. :/ It is a cycle that begets itself.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer the question. If it was a role-play I really enjoyed, and they didn't talk to me for the entire duration of the hiatus without warning, maybe a year. There are some rps I love that I think I would pick up no matter what but I could see no longer connecting to the story/characters after a really long time. It depends on what sort of friendship my partner and I have. If we're good friends, then I probably wouldn't mind. And if I really like the role play, then I could see getting back into it. I'm someone who is pretty easygoing when it comes to breaks. It's life. It happens.

This post has been edited by Poette: Apr 13 2016, 10:31 AM
PM
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 16 2016, 03:34 PM

trash prince

Awards:

QUOTE (Poette @ Apr 13 2016, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (alyeska @ Apr 11 2016, 10:49 AM)

how long is too long ?

The longest break I've dealt with was six months and I think that's fine. In the end would you rather have short-term, long burst stories or a friendship that lasts a year or two or longer? There's benefits to both, and if I had any self control I would reply more often. People who nudge me every day or multiple times a week I just grow to ignore and resent. Yes maybe I'm online, but no I'm not going to devote time to writing with you right now. Sorry. But on the flip side getting used to replying only once in a while means it is difficult to break that habit when your partner is feeling more active. :/ It is a cycle that begets itself.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer the question. If it was a role-play I really enjoyed, and they didn't talk to me for the entire duration of the hiatus without warning, maybe a year. There are some rps I love that I think I would pick up no matter what but I could see no longer connecting to the story/characters after a really long time. It depends on what sort of friendship my partner and I have. If we're good friends, then I probably wouldn't mind. And if I really like the role play, then I could see getting back into it. I'm someone who is pretty easygoing when it comes to breaks. It's life. It happens.

it's funny to me that you said six months. i mused to the void and the void heard me; last night at like midnight, i received a reply to something i sent 6 months ago to a thread i'm absolutely in love with. but that being said, i really like the partner as well. so i think that goes hand in hand with what you're saying about lasting friendships.

to be honest, this is a thread i probably wouldn't have started with someone else due to the subject material, but it's also one of those rare partnerships where i would write about any or everything and still enjoy it. as such, i think i'd gladly take year long replies, over nothing at all.
+, like you said, real life happens, and i think having communication outside of the actual world of roleplaying (as opposed to solely ooc chat and ic interaction, which i think does stay within the realm of the roleplaying community a lot of the time) is something that really helps in understanding not only what's going on but in keeping alive interest in writing with the other person because we are more invested in the 'real life' relationship. (personally, i know that i'm guilty of prioritizing the replies of the people i consider friends in real life over others, even if i do try to work by time. but even then i have replies i've owed for over a month that are now taking a backseat to the one i stayed up last night to start literally the same hour i received it... whoops)

this brings me to another question. while i agree with you about different set ups having their own advantages, i can't help but wonder. are we willing to forgive more if the partner we're writing with is also someone we view as a friend, vs simply another replaceable writer on the internet ?

in sort of the same vein of curiosity, i'd be curious to see the turnover rates within the one on one roleplay community, and if they vary greatly from those within the forum/group settings. how quickly do people pick and drop partners, look for the same plot with different/'better' people, actually 'finish' a thread, etc. do they tend to stick around more on forums ? how many stories do people start and abandon vs actually complete ?
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 12:42 AM

Awards:

Good: -I find RPing exhilerating! I'm limited by disability in my hobbies, and while it does impact my writing ability sometimes, it's still something I can do well. It's exciting and it has an immediate reward and I love seeing what I can come up with as much as my parter - it's just so much fun.
-it's so interesting to see my relationship with rping change over the years. when i began as a young teen, it was out of curiosity and escapism. when i went back to group rps at 17, it was about trying to develop my characters. when i started back up at the end of last year, a lot of it was nostalgia - but my writing seems so much different. it's amazing to see myself improve and develop, and it's even making me think about far-off things like "hey, maybe I could like, try publishing sometime???" I'm honestly so amazed with myself for coming up with plots.
-RPing is a good way for me to relate to/contact people! i'm not good at knowing how to start talking to folk, and if i can start off with a direct response to someone ("i saw your ad, here is my info") and know immediately what some of our shared interests are, it's so much better for me.

Bad: -ah...obligations. it's not happened very often, but it's hard to say no to things. plots i'm not interested in, character dynamics i don't care about. I'm not going to lie to someone and say I love x when I don't, but it's hard for me to ignore my feeling that the other person's enjoyment shoud go first
-I think one of the most important ways of keeping a long term plot going is communication, but that can be so hard for me! even when i like the person a lot, it's a struggle to go "hey let's do some plotting" or post ideas without getting embarrassed by them

Ugly: -going back to my first point...my brain stuff makes me not a very reliable partner. i can get overwhelmed easily, I can start to go low without realising it, and by the time I know I need a break it's been a week since my last reply and i'm too depressed to check my email.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 01:02 AM

Awards:

-the length issue. i might not be able to get back into the story if it's left over 6 months or something, but I definitely wouldn't be annoyed if someone left it that long. i'm very floaty.

-about who i prioritise. I think I usually just go with who's been without a reply for longest! I get guilty easily and it means i go aaaaaaaaah! about any reply i feel i owe

-none of my rps have actually ever finished yet! a couple have been dropped (almost always by the other person), but there's never been a conclusion. still, despite having a handful of hopefully long-term rps that should eventually end, I look around a lot. it's not really boredom - it's more like, craving the excitement of a new story, a new person, and the anxiety that i'll miss out on a dream partnership if i don't look around. i'm not looking to take up new rps right now, but i still look at ads!

Question: how important is romance in a rp? whether it's implicit from the start (an ad saying "kingxgeneral" for example), or just as a potential ("lets see how it goes"), is it good to be there? When I was in my teens one of the big goals in rping was to get your character in a relationship, but i'm finding now i don't care so much. i think i like to have the potential there though.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 07:40 AM

trash prince

Awards:

I am going to get to this after work but mellery might i direct you here to our romance thread . There's also a romance rper thread I'm gonna grab and respond to later as well as updating my own response because, like, wow. Opinions have changed lol. Bbs to answer ur wonderful question tho
PMEmail
^
XANDER
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 11:07 PM

local advice god
Group: Admin

Awards:

answering the fun questions BWAHAHA

are we willing to forgive more if the partner we're writing with is also someone we view as a friend, vs simply another replaceable writer on the internet ?

i'd say yes and no! yes: i value your company and your writing more, so i will probably forgive. however, i will, at the same time, be more annoyed with you! because you are my friend and i expect more from you than some random chump

how long is too long ?

how much do i like you? if you are bird, you can not reply to me for one year. i have slept at bird's house. her mom got us cirque du soleil tickets and made me pelmini.

how many stories do people start and abandon vs actually complete ?

i would argue that very, very rarely do people finish roleplays. why? because it takes huge commitment, and huge consistency, over a long period of time. you are not going to finish a sweeping world-building story without the other person being down for the long haul, and without them being able to crank out posts at a consistent pace. this completed roleplay took 4 years. 4 years! and while i have not trawled all 27 pages to elicit a perfect thesis, i can guess from memory that, like, if a post took over 2 weeks, i was pretty much losing my mind. near the end, there was a posting schedule: every third day. yes, you heard that correctly! posting schedule. because this shit was FOR REAL.

additionally, i don't think people actually anticipate finishing their roleplays! because they are not anticipating anything that they will want to commit that much to. you have to be a person who's in a position to say, 'i want to make this work,' and who has the drive to force it. i know that sounds very bootstrap-y! and it kinda is! but when you love something - like, really love it, 'this fulfills me', 'whenever i read something new here i am happy' love it - it's not so hard to make sacrifices like, 'it would be so much easier to watch anime for 4 hours' or 'i could spend my 30 minute lunch break playing candy crush and reading articles on gawker' or 'i know i've been feeling crummy but i'll feel 100 times better when i read the reply to the post i have to type'. you sacrifice to make good writing work in the long-run. good writing, like a good diet, good fitness, continued education, and good friendships, demands that you do the right thing over the easy thing.

(BUT ROLEPLAYING IS A HOBBY, I'M HERE TO HAVE FUN, NOT TO WORK, LIFE IS HARD SOMETIMES, etc. -- yeah then i'm just a Lot More Serious About My Art than most people, sue me)

womp womp i have a post obsession, forgive me

--------------------
user posted image

PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
bird
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 11:12 PM

number one dad

Awards:

i am proud to be the gold standard for the worst roleplay partner ever

(i love you too xander lmao)
PMEmail
^
XANDER
 Posted: Apr 17 2016, 11:51 PM

local advice god
Group: Admin

Awards:

QUOTE (bird @ Apr 17 2016, 11:12 PM)
i am proud to be the gold standard for the worst roleplay partner ever

(i love you too xander lmao)

my affection is a many-splendored thing

the secret to lasting roleplays, everyone, is cirque du soleil tickets and pelminis
PMWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 18 2016, 03:57 AM

Awards:

the level of difficulty for doing the ah, "right thing" does vary from person to person though. Just something to bear in mind, that you can have so much will and drive for doing something (in this case making a good, long rp), but still not be able to do it. and that's okay! sometimes it's not that watching anime instead of writing is the easy thing, it's that it's the necessary thing to allow you to keep going.

Another Question (sorry if there's a thread devoted to this, i totally missed that with the romance one!): How much do you want your character to be changed by the rp?

Do you want to know who they are, know what their deal is, or be surprised? Let the other player(s) have an influence on them? Are there big chunks of them that you don't know about before you start? If something big happens to them, do you let them be damaged or changed? Meaning physically, emotionally, mentally, or otherwise.

Do your characters age?
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 26 2016, 10:57 PM

trash prince

Awards:

I love surprises.

I love surprising myself, my partners, being surprised by them, surprising the people who would read it....

And yes, I really think one of the main aspects I look for in a roleplay is the potential for character development. I want to break my character. I want you to break my character.

One of my partners said something the other day about our characters being shiny glittering ornaments, and our writing being the baseball bat that shatters them to bits. And that is.... so accurate. Especially when the plot we're running is... probably gonna get both our characters killed on a site we're on.

And yes ! I actually like exploring different ages of my characters lives but in general I try to keep them moving forward while the roleplay itself does.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs