barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Idea-A-Day Challenge!, Dump your mind burdens here
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 14 2016, 11:19 PM

Group: Members

Awards:

it's technically tomorrow here, so i'm on to Y.

several unlucky individuals get to participate in a new gameshow for one huge prize. all they have to do is spend an entire year on a yacht.
cue year long gay yacht from hell drama.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 15 2016, 08:11 AM

Awards:

for X we have:

xgender warriors with x-ray vision struggle with extreme xenophobia and xylocarp addictions while attempting to protect Planet X from incoming xenomorph hordes.

nonbinary gamer takes too much xanax and wakes up inside the last Xbox game xe played.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 15 2016, 10:57 PM

Awards:

So I didn't post here for a while! I'm doing this because I want to, of course, and there's no obligation, but still I feel guilty!

On the plus side I've been coming up with short stories for nanowrimo and i've also been like, ugh, so depressed lately, so there's good excuses/reasons for it. Sorry Mellery! It's okay, Mellery!

-underground ride to hell or limbo. The underground goes in a clear loop and there's only one track, but at one point there's a car that breaks the loop. It goes inwards. If you get on it you go to this unreality place. Someone gets on the car at night and rides, and they arrive in the inverse of the city. There's a lot less people there. It's wet and the buildings are higher. It's dark. They have to avoid the things that live there so they don't realise there's an intruder. They go to the shop and no one's there, but they pay anyway so there's no disturbance. They go back to the underground. Maybe what they bought was a child? Maybe a partner for themselves? Idk.

Maybe something follows them back.

-everyone has a year they're tethered to. For me, it's 2008. I don't keep thinking about it, I don't think I'm still there, but whenever I see the date I always think that it's just 2-4 years ago. I recognise 2009 as 7 years ago, I recognise 2007 as 9. What if, if you manage to elevate your consciousness a bit, you can make yourself go back to your tethered year? You can go back to when 2008 really was 2-4 years ago? No time machine needed.

-Your life has a direct impact on whether others live or die. There's a group of people you know and care about, and if you fail at an unrelated task (a puzzle, a race), one of them will die at random. You can go back in time to redo it - but what if you never win? What if someone even more important dies next?
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 16 2016, 10:37 AM

Awards:

w is for werewolves !
i could go on forever about werewolves but okay here are a few cliches:

pureblood werewolf researching ways to remain a wolf forever crosses paths with the cute mythologies&folklore teacher that vehemently doesn't believe in what they're teaching, but who just so happens to be trying to figure out a way to stop the weird, unsettling, downright frightening habit they've taken to waking up naked next to various dead animals in the woods every month.

romeo and juliet style werwolves. starcrossed lovers from feuding packs try to defy their bloodlines and everybody ends up dying in the process. bonus points if they're already betrothed or super important in their respective pack's hierarchies or both, etc.

a form of reverse lycanthropy that turns wolves into humans under various circumstances. or humans that spend x amount of time out of the year as wolves due to a curse/ genetic disorder/ wolf bite side effect / etc. like hades and persephone but with wolves.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 18 2016, 01:02 AM

Awards:

A writer who has no love for words, no interest in continuing their stories, but has to submit a new chapter every week. The work acts as a spell that protects them, for if they ever stop they will be consumed by the hungry Editor.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 18 2016, 01:12 AM

Awards:

Ok how about - humans taken from across realities to be hunted by gods. Humans from our world, from worlds where technology and geography is complete different, where there are people on the moon or barely a handful left alive, where science is indistinguishable from magic, etc. They can't understand each other but they recognise each other as an "us" and the gods as a "them", and try try to avoid being killed.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 21 2016, 11:21 PM

Awards:

v is for all things valkyrie & viking.

okay that was almost too easy but forreal.

or, for something modern, while on vacation, a valley girl finds strange videotape stuffed in a vent behind some overgrown vines. accompanied by a vulgar vice detective and a very verbose vagabond, they set off in search of a series of various other videos, and end up unraveling a web of lies surrounding the murder of a local veteran and exposing a villainous veterinarian in the process.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 23 2016, 10:39 AM

Awards:

wow I went a little wild with my V's.

aaaanywaaayyyyyyy....

U is for underwater worlds !!!!!!!! oh my gods give me all the underwater settings.

ungulate gains an understanding of underwater unicorns while undercover.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 23 2016, 04:50 PM

Awards:

T;

character A gets trapped in a taxidermy tiger by a stranger in a trench coat. character B helps them, but only to get their stolen trench coat back.

accidental time travel whenever you think of that specific time period. tv surfing becomes very dangerous; history classes, unattendable. or do they ?

trees come to life and try to take back the planet from the humans that have been abusing it. like a reverse apocalypse, because they're actually saving the earth.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 25 2016, 12:07 AM

Awards:

here's an ideaaaaaa for real life:

people stop taking me seriously, realize my foot is perpetually in my mouth, and move the fuck on

biggrin.gif

never gonna happen, right ??

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

ok moving on though~~

S;

sea witches. sea gods. literally anything that has to do with the sea. gods i'm sorry these keep getting dumber but can you tell what kind of settings alaska prefers lol.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 25 2016, 08:05 PM

Awards:

R;

a reality game show, but everyone participating is doing so thru virtual reality with the developers literally adapting the entire setting and tasks at will to create the most interesting episode that day.

radical space politics during a space revolution.
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 26 2016, 11:03 PM

Awards:

Queers in space (aka star wars the force awakens)

A roleplay where the dialogue is made up solely of questions
PMEmail
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 26 2016, 11:20 PM

Awards:

modern day Psyche and Eros w Eros as a problematic pop star and Psyche as a professional makeup artist
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Apr 26 2016, 11:23 PM

Awards:

I'm thinking something along the lines of trying to become a celestial body. Various ways to go about it, lots of failures. Trying to eat the moon, or burn up in the sun and plant your consciousness in it, or vanish into the noise of stars.

I really like the idea of looping periods of time - someone reliving a week over and over again, maybe by choice or maybe not. in a rp setting maybe only one person plays a looper and can choose how they change their actions each time. The other person would have a lot of options about how they respond to the actions, actually directing a lot of the story this way, and potentially eventually becoming more aware that something's happening.

someone who hears the psychic energy of the dead and the traumatised and has their words ringing through their skull constantly. they write to get the words out but it doesn't always help, and there isn't always paper. sometimes they hear things they shouldn't, sometimes they write beautiful things. they find ways to monetise their talent.
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Apr 26 2016, 11:32 PM

number one dad

Awards:

a mining accident on the moon? mars? an asteroid? the earth? prompts an inquiry after suspicion of foul play. a cave-in and being trapped and going from refuge station to refuge station would also feature prominently, along with massive underground rooms full of fish tanks and trees. lots of abandoned equipment everywhere in the old drifts. basically this would be an excuse for me to write a bunch of miners and geos and possibly two miners playing detective.

a society of bee- or other insect people with a fundamentally different social and gender structure and a fairly advanced level of technology. i'm thinking something like orchid bees, who collect fragrances and use them in mating displays -- so maybe this society and market favours wealthy perfume merchants, and cafes where you sit around and breathe in all sorts of kinds of fragrant incense.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs