barbermonger: a one on one roleplay search forum

WELCOME TO BARBERMONGER
WHAT IS BARBERMONGER?

BARBERMONGER is a site designed to help roleplayers find other roleplayers, specifically one-on-one roleplayers, as opposed to larger roleplay games. Functioning like a pinboard, BARBERMONGER allows users to create advertisements, bump advertisements, and respond to other advertisements, without requiring them to register an account. However, registering an account will allow you to edit your posts, find your own topics, and use the private messaging system.

HELPFUL LINKS:

BARBERMONGER RULES
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS
MEMBERS
SEARCH WITH JCINK
SEARCH WITH GOOGLE

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Idea-A-Day Challenge!, Dump your mind burdens here
mellery
 Posted: Mar 21 2016, 09:43 PM

Group: Members

Awards:

All you have to do to take part in this challenge is come up with one thing each day and post it! What counts as an idea is up to you. It can be something as simple as a character trait or piece of scenery, or a whole plot.

There's no problem with missing some days and trying again, and this is a no-judgement zone!

The hope is that this will act as a creativity booster that forces you to work outside of your usual settings.

I'm going to go first and demonstrate why no-judgement is needed and really just how slapdash these ideas can be!

--

One of those old-timey scolars that's fuelled just by family fortune decides their life work should be about categorising all the bigfoot/yeti/Am Fear Liath Mòr type things of the world. They spend years hiding out up mountains, in ghost towns, in the deepest parts of forests trying to find evidence and slowly forgetting what talking to other people is like. Could go the route of them finding a big ape dude, could go the route of them convincing themselves they are a big ape dude themself!
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Mar 21 2016, 10:21 PM

number one dad

Awards:

i love this so much!!!

--

a near-future world where you can re-live the past, but only through the eyes of others, and people pawn memories off and have been doing so for some time. a pair of historians? or a memory broker? end up sifting through these memories and trying to separate the wheat from the chaff and arguing about what the best/most interestinig/most 'authentic' memory is

alternately!

the whole memory thing becomes a niche entertainment sector, and someone discovers that their memories have not only been taken without their knowledge but are now a major hit. a team of copyright lawyers shows up at their place to argue that, no, mr. smith, your memories of that totally awesome bender back in 2013 are not your private property any more (and maybe one is like... man that backflip you did... was so cool... after this trial is over, can you sign this t-shirt???)

--------------------
PMEmail
^
bird
 Posted: Mar 22 2016, 08:28 AM

number one dad

Awards:

today's idea, courtesy of waking up at 4AM by accident:

after two hundred years, electronics are pretty scarce in the failed planetary colony set in that arctic jungle thing i mentioned in the worldbuilding thread. long after shipfall, raiders from little colonies go out in the winter night (when most of the fauna is hibernating and the jungle thins out) to scavenge supplies and food and scout out new roads and locations and w/e. and somehow, one raider gets lost on their own.

meanwhile, for the past two centuries, many of the android robo-helpers that were supposed to help with setting up the colony have either been destroyed or find that they don't have any way of completing their primary objectives. but they're intelligent, and adaptive, and one android decides that its mission is to understand WHY IT'S HERE and all that, and it reasons that identity = the stories people tell themselves. so it ends up wandering around for two hundred years, looking for stories. also i think the colonists probably call them MACHINE GODS or something?? who knows

raider and AI find each other one night and settle around the campfire in a dark that won't end for months, and tell each other stories. myths about how the colonies came to be, myths about Old Earth, little Aesop's fables about alien jungle fauna, how they fell in love or out of it, whatever. and meanwhile maybe the raider isn't sure how to get back, or if anyone will come looking for them; or maybe they're trying to decide how to bring the android back and scavenge it for parts.

eventually they probably either they become buddies, or the raider turns the android into scrap like FUCK YOU, MACHINE GOD, or the android just lets the raider slowly waste away from some jungle sickness and then files it in the memory banks as another story.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Mar 22 2016, 09:11 AM

Awards:

This is not really abiding by my own rules since this is something I came up with a couple months ago, but I never went past the one-line synopsis and I thought i'd have a go at writing it out further. Im not counting it as my daily thing so!

The setting is pretty vague but it feels like some kind of ww1 au to me – at least heavily inspired by it. One of the main aspects of the war is that there is a recently-developed method of reanimating the dead to fight again. Whatever existed of the dead individuals before their termination is lost. There's no way of knowing yet whether there is a natural soul – but there is a way to create artificial ones. The artificial souls have little by way of personality or individuality (there's no way of controlling what the personality would be like, so that part is atrophied or muted), and the majority of them can only follow orders. They are implanted in the dead that are whole enough, and sent back to the fields. Living soldiers are still required so they can die and fight again, but the living are kept separate from the artificial. Not much is known about them but the fact that they exist.

Further work on the reanimation is done throughout the war and eventually a kind capable of higher thought are created and used as secretaries, messengers between officers, pilots, etc. One such pilot is on a mission when they are shot out of the air and crash in the countryside. The closest to the wreckage is a doctor and spy, who has heard enough of the process of reanimation to identify the body they find but little more. They are immediately captivated and want to take the creature for their own. Despite the danger they place themselves in, they pull the body free and hide it from the locals, who decide the pilot must have escaped or fallen into the nearby sea.

I don't really see it as a romantic plot. More about mutual fascination and exploration, combined with cool spy shit!

-

As another, v vague thought, things with completely monstrous hair are cool. Hair that hangs to the feet, thick enough to hold another person inside – the owner could use it to throttle people or as some weird kinda handbag! Just keep your phone, wallet, umbrella etc floating around in the mass.
PMEmail
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 22 2016, 09:25 AM

viewing online list
Group: Moderator

Awards:

A society of tribal bird-people which lives in the upper levels of a rainforest, never travelling to the ground. They grow feathers interspersed with their hair. Males have bright, tropical plumage, while women are drab. Everyone sleeps in giant nests/huts woven together from sticks and leaves.

Cue cute gay romance wherein one of the drab birds starts sticking brightly-colored leaves and such in her hair to attract female attention. Explore ~gender roles~ in this bird society.
PMEmailAIM
^
bird
 Posted: Mar 22 2016, 10:06 PM

number one dad

Awards:

dumb stuff:
  • an archipelago composed of islands that are actually just forests growing on the backs of giant turtles, whales, etc., the navigators who are very irritated about this state of affairs, and the wacky international conflicts that result when porpoise island bumps up against man o' war land

• delicate, pretty robots made of ... glass? like robots that look less like robots and more like modern abstract glass sculptures, or robots that have soft, mutable shapes that change to suit their function.

• slavic mythology meets weird planetary sci-fi and i have no idea how to pull that off. maybe the firebird is a giant space whale.
PMEmail
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 23 2016, 11:44 AM

viewing online list

Awards:

A bonsai artist finds that his trees are becoming the site of various fairy parties; the fairies enjoy pretending they're normal-sized as they frolic in his garden. The fairy king gets upset because these new parties are all the rage and curses the bonsai artist somehow?? idk

LITTLE TREES AND FAIRIES
PMEmailAIM
^
mellery
 Posted: Mar 24 2016, 06:23 PM

Awards:

-a woman swallows a crystal ball. it makes it to her stomach, where it bulges like a pregnancy and makes it difficult to move. while it's in her she gains some precognitive abilities. as time progresses, these abilities strengthen, but she also comes closer to death - the ball will eventually be dissolved and kill her.

-i was also thinking about reality bending giants. figures that have a humanoid outline, but inside that they take on the appearance of whatever they stand before for a long time. these giants sleep a long time and they all lay down on the ground together across the world, unnoticed in their stillness. one day they awaken and lift themselves up - humanoid shapes filled with images of grass, frozen children, cityscapes, falling bottles, stained glass, the ocean. behind them they leave blank white spaces where they lay.
PMEmail
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 25 2016, 11:44 AM

viewing online list

Awards:

Hundreds of disembodied tentacles wash up on a rocky northeast shore. Men in black suits come to investigate; one dies mysteriously on the beach, strangled by a rogue tentacle. No one is allowed to leave town. An older woman who has retired to a cottage on the shore begins her own investigation in her rowboat. Eventually she kills a kraken.
PMEmailAIM
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 26 2016, 03:31 PM

viewing online list

Awards:

A jail escape involving a werewolf posing as a drug-sniffing dog.
PMEmailAIM
^
mellery
 Posted: Mar 27 2016, 08:10 AM

Awards:

I keep missing days because of my sleeping patterns!

-a sacrificial ritual to summon an old god goes wrong - they summon the wrong thing and have to deal with the awkward fallout of their mistake. donors demanding funding back, names released to the papers, fees for city damage

-a mindlink between dimensions. two people who occupy the same space in different worlds develop the ability to communicate with each other. at first it's a novelty, then it's an invasion, then they realise they can use it to pool their knowledge and help each other through tests, social anxiety, emergencies. Finally, they begin to fall for each other.
PMEmail
^
mellery
 Posted: Mar 29 2016, 04:47 PM

Awards:

my head is broken! this is my only creative outlet now, and i soldier onwards

-tiny people living in the fur of a housecat, surviving as best they can through flea treatment and catnip parties

-someone who is so ignored in their school that they decide to stop going. no one notices. they take it a step further - they crawl inside the walls of the building and watch what happens, leaving clues to suggest that something terrible happened to them - stil nothing. in frustration, they decide to force their presence onto the students and teachers. direct threats, stolen items, pinches to the leg as they walk past. their attempts to draw attention gradually escalate..
PMEmail
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 30 2016, 02:22 PM

viewing online list

Awards:

A sham psychic travels to the last known location of a missing person to "read" the "aura" and figure out where the girl went. For the first time ever, he has a legitimate psychic experience giving him some impression of what happened. The other well known "psychics" who are also on the mission arrive at a different conclusion, so the original psychic investigates on his own.

In the end he finds that the girl willingly disappeared for some reason (to reinvent herself?) and he has the option to do the same and use his legit psychic powers for good instead of profit.

Maybe he falls in love with the girl through ~psychic experience ~ along the way?
PMEmailAIM
^
Lar
 Posted: Mar 30 2016, 07:30 PM

viewing online list

Awards:

A cult ritual that coincides with the cherry blossoms blooming in Washington DC.
PMEmailAIM
^
alyeska
 Posted: Apr 14 2016, 10:18 PM

Awards:

oh fucking word.

i could bump this all day long with dumb shit so here we go:

~

starting with Z, we have zombies.

sentient. SOL. zombies

sort of like in the flesh meets being human. modern zombies trying to live normal human lives while coping with the whole being dead thing.
lesbian zombie moms grocery shopping for raw meat and cow brains for their neighborhood cookout.
mortuary science classes being packed full of students trying to learn how to cover the evident rot spots on their foreheads because youtube makeup tutorials were just not cutting it.
living and dead activists coming together to protest the latest right-wing rhetoric of "dead=dangerous".
support groups starting for dealing with being dead, for resuming your life, controlling any violent urges, offering grief counseling and methods for mourning yourself.
young dead couples adopting a dog that was hit by a car together because the local center is running a special on animals killed in the same way as their prospective owners- because hey, this whole 'rising from the dead' thing is affecting the animal populations, too, and who better to care for a war dog coping with post-death ptsd than the veteran who woke up three weeks earlier in a casket screaming ?
speaking of veterans... give me zombie soldiers who go back to war because it's the only thing familiar to them anymore and hey, at least they can't die again. who have stopped having nightmares, but only because they've stopped sleeping altogether, and they aren't sure which is worse.
give me everyone who comes back dead, who's loved ones reason that it's okay, that at least they've come back, but it's not the same, they're not the same, and it's not okay, and nothing will ever be okay again.
give me zombies who learn that just because their heart isn't beating doesn't mean it isn't capable of breaking, and give me them learning to love again after too. give me zombies that overcome that heartbreak to become those lesbian zombie moms who participate in neighborhood cookouts.

oh look. we're back, full circle.
like i said,
sentient SOL zombies
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
Shadowplay Roleplay Gateway Fragile Things

skin created by they-go of RCR, CAUTION, they go and wombat designs